Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Newbie help on cabinet

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mmasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2007
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Everyone:

    My name's Mike Masztal. I grew up listening to my Dad's Valencias (416/808, I believe) and am intersted in building a pair for my system using GPA's 604-8H driver.

    I've read that the 604 will work in either a 9 or 6 cu-ft BR cabinet and have a good idea for a cabinet's general dimensions/bracing, etc. While my wife won't put up with a 9'cabinet, a 6' will be OK.

    My main question is what is the port size to use for the 6' cu-ft cabinet.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Mike,

    the classic "small" solution for a 604 is the 612 cabinet you can find here:

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures05.jpg

    But let me give you a warning: I heard a pair of 604e in this kind of cabinets and it was definitively not a pleasure due to a lack of bass. Not only the deep bass was missing but the tonal balance didn't satisfy me at all. The new GPA drivers may suite better - I don't know but I don't think the 612 is the best solution.

    I'm answering since I have the same task to solve as you have: Building enclosures for a 604. I already wanted do do so last year but things went a bit strange. Momentarily I'm in contact with Seadweller and Selmerdave. Both are great guys and very helpful!! Thanks to you both!! So I'd recommend building the MLTL versions discussed in the forum or building a Stonehenge V / Altec 620 clone. Unfortunately in particular the former are very big. It's up to you and your wife ;-)

    Grettings
    Ralph

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Seadweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2006
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I faced the same dilemma...When I measured out the cabinets I'm building, they didn't seem that big just poking around with a measuring tape in open air...I decided to measure a large wooden trunk we have, and it turns out the trunk paled in comparison to the size my speakers will ultimately be...I stood the trunk in the same spot one of the speakers will be located, and holy mackerel, the trunk is huge, yet the speakers will be much bigger!

    I figured that if I'm going to go to the time and expense of building a speaker system, then I may as well go all the way...So, I brushed up on my negotiating skills, and received "permission" to build an MLTL system, with the caveat that my wife got to choose the wood finish.... forums

    When I owned a pair of Altec 19's many moons ago, the cabinets were huge, and these drivers really need some square footage to do their thing...Sharpen up your negotiating skills and build the real thing! forums

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I heard the Stnonehenge in the 70's and was impressed. I used 620 for monitors,size was a factor here but they sounded great hanging from the ceiling next to the mixing board.

    Here are the plans for the Stonehenge.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id10.html

    ....................................

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mmasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2007
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I can't believe it! My wife gave an OK to Billfort's 9 cu-ft corner cabinets. I made up a mock-up cardboard cabinet and when she saw how non intrusive it was, she agreed.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Congratulations forums Seems that Seadweller gave you good advice forums Last week someone started a thread and phraised these cabs since he made himself a copy. Maybe you get in contact with him for some helpful commtents.
    Good luck
    Ralph

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.